Wednesday, September 10, 2014

How To Make A Homemade Sugar Scrub with Calendula

Homemade Sugar Scrub with Calendula - Herbal Academy of New England

In this recipe, I’m using the herb calendula. Calendula is a well-known herb for the skin. It has anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, astringent, and vulnerary properties, all making it great to use in skin care products. But beyond its therapeutic properties, it’s a beautiful plant as well.

When I infuse calendula into oils for sugar scrubs, I use the petals only in the infusion (as opposed to the whole flower), and instead of straining the herb out of my oil, I like to leave the petals in the oil adding them to my sugar scrub. I think it not only gives it a pretty presentation, but it also makes you feel good seeing those beautiful golden petals swimming around in there, knowing that they are benefiting your body. Learn how to make oil infusions here. 
So now that you know why I like to include herbs in my homemade sugar scrub, check out the recipe below so you can try it out and see what you think.
Calendula Sugar Scrub
Ingredients
1/2 cup of calendula infused sweet almond oil
1/3 cup calendula infused coconut oil
2 cups fair-trade white sugar
10-20 drops of essential oil (optional)
Directions
  • Infuse calendula flowers into sweet almond oil and coconut oil separately. Reserve specified amounts of each.
  • Combine coconut oil with sugar and mix well.
  • Slowly pour in sweet almond oil while mixing until desired consistency is reached.
  • Add essential oils if desired

No comments:

Post a Comment